During the last two decades, a revolutionary scientific new age, based on the capacity to observe, characterize, manipulate and organize matter in the nanometric scale, is appearing. In this scale, physics, chemistry, materials science, computational theory, and engineering converge towards the same theoretical principles and experimental findings that are basically governed by the laws of the Quantum Mechanics. Nanotechnology involves these interdisciplinary knowledge areas and methodologies in order to study, manufacture and characterize functional structures with dimensions of tens of nanometers.
In 2008, Spain, Portugal and France (through their respective networks NanoSpain, PortugalNano and C'Nano GSO) decided to join efforts in order that NanoSpain events facilitate the dissemination of knowledge and promote interdisciplinary discussions not only in Spain but among the different groups from Southern Europe.
Other objectives will also be to enhance industrial participation and permit considering the situation of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology in the south of Europe.
The NanoSpain2012 edition will be organised in Santander (Spain).
Thematic parallel sessions will also be organised to enhance information flow between participants and in particular:
-Exchange information of current work in specific research areas
-Solve particular technological problems
-Look for areas of common ground between different technologies
-Provide contributions to specific reports
1. Graphene (Coordinator: Stephan Roche)
2. NanoBiotechnology (Coordinators: Josep Samitier, Jesus M. De la Fuente & Elena Martinez)
3. Industrial - Nanotechnology for Automotive applications (Coordinators: Antonio Correia, Fernando Moreno & Luis Fernandez Barquin)
4. NanoChemistry (Coordinators: Jaume Veciana & Nora Ventosa)
5. NanoOptics & NanoPhotonics (Coordinators: Juan Jose Saenz & Antonio Garcia Martin)
6. NanoToxicology and Nanosafety (Coordinator: Enrique Navarro)
In 2012, this event will be organised in collaboration with 3 networks: