The human occupation of the region where the Municipality of Braga is located dates back to thousands of years, the first traces of which point to the early megalithic period, when they acquired majestic grandeur. During the Iron Age, the so-called Casto culture was developed, a feature particular to the Brácaro country folk that strategically settled in hilltop forts.
The Roman colonization began around 200 BC and it took root in the early days of our era with the foundation of the former city of Braga – Bracara Augusta. From the fifth century onwards, the barbarian invaders (the Suevi and the Visigothic peoples) brought about complete turmoil to the region, which went on with the Moors until the late eighth century. The resettlement process wouldn’t start until the very end of the following century.
Around 1070, D. Pedro, the first Bishop of Braga, reorganises his bishopric, after which the town and its adjoining area have known a sound development of its basic structures. The town grows around its Cathedral, restricted to a walled and successively fortified core (Kings Henrique, Dinis and Fernando); its size did not expand much.